Considering making a less strict cancellation policy

• Explorer

I've noticed airbnb has been encouraging hosts to allow last-minute cancellations, including same day!

I've considered doing it as well:
    Pros:
    --get more guests to book that would otherwise be nervous about changing travel plans
    --not feeling like an @$$ when I have to say no sorry I can't refund your money even though your flight was cancelled or whatever

Cons:
    Maybe lose money if the dates don't fill?

In your experience, those of you who have flexible cancellation policies, do the dates fill?

Mine is super strict right now....60 days for full refund, 30 days for 50% refund.

• Leader

I think it depends upon where you are located and the potential last minute competition for your business. My properties are in an area with thousands of other condos. My concern with last minute cancellations is that open properties will have reduced their rates to get the last minute bookings. They do it all the time, with low ball, last minute prices. If my guest decides to jump ship with a better last minute deal, I'm the one left hanging. Instead I offer travel insurance and encourage my guests to use it.

• Explorer

@jenny-oest said in Considering making a less strict cancellation policy:

I think it depends upon where you are located and the potential last minute competition for your business. My properties are in an area with thousands of other condos. My concern with last minute cancellations is that open properties will have reduced their rates to get the last minute bookings. They do it all the time, with low ball, last minute prices. If my guest decides to jump ship with a better last minute deal, I'm the one left hanging. Instead I offer travel insurance and encourage my guests to use it.

Great idea! What travel insurance do you recommend?

• Leader

@caroline-benzel I offer Travel Guard through my website. The traditional policy is 7% of the covered amount. The "cancel for any reason" plan costs a little more.

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.