Best Accounting Software Connections

• Leader

I'm posting this in hopes of learning what accounting packages others are using, AND how they are exporting or transferring the MyVR data into whatever system used.

I currently use QuickBooks for MAC and am entering everything manually. I'm exploring Zapier in hopes of generating some automation down the road.

What do others use and how do you integrate?

-- Jenny

• Explorer

I use QuickBooks for PC and also enter everything manually.

-- Matthew

• Leader

@matthew-giles - I'd love to know if there's anything you've automated - even with Zapier? I'm playing with some things and this would be a great place to put our heads together 🙂

• Contributor

We are using some pivot tables Basil has created to generate reports and he has been playing with importing and exporting & with Quickbooks.
    We also created a zap which integrated some data with QUickbooks but it was only guest info, none of the financials ...
    We'd be thrilled to learn if anyone has been able to go beyond that - and to have some financial / accounting focused collaboration with other MyVR users.

• Leader

@carole - could you share the customer zap? That’s one that I was just starting. Are you creating .iif files for import?

• Contributor

@jenny-oest My first go at it was with another PMS (not MyVR) but all it did was link the customer's name, email, phone number into new customers within Quickbooks online, I would think that this would be great for creating a customer account within Quickbooks which would work well with the next step.
    The next step was with Stripe by exporting data from Stripe to an iif file. That works great for financials, but Stripe doesn't have any customer data coming through from MyVR other than the financials. Since I use Stripe for MyVR and for our RealGreece travel bookings I can see that where additional customer data is provided (via my WooCommerce site), is included.
    We plan on playing with this more - but if you are looking for the Stripe export, just log into your Stripe account and you can find it.

• Leader

@carole - I’m on quickbooks for Mac at the moment so I have to automate by creating the .iif files which is a little tricky with zapier.com. The MyVR transaction file doesn’t contain everything I want to pass to quick books so instead I’m going to try a stay email to zapper, email parsing, and then create the .iif file in google sheets. This process will have multiple steps, but when done should give me a customer transaction, and a job within the customer. Then the financials will follow.

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest , @Carole , @Matthew-Giles curious about a few things on this topic;

1. Of the reports MyVR has available, which are you using for accounting?
    2. How long does it take you to manually import the data in your respective reports?
    3. How much total time are you spending on the accounting work at the end of each month?

@Jenny-Oest
    Which fields are missing in the transaction file to Zapier?

• Leader

@jess-milligan said in Best Accounting Software Connections:

Of the reports MyVR has available, which are you using for accounting?

- none for actual accounting - I'm using QuickBooks for all my accounting. But I do review some of those reports to look at trends and occupancy rates.

How long does it take you to manually import the data in your respective reports?

- I spend about 35-40% of my time in QuickBooks. I think if I can automate the customer, the booking, and the payments, I'll bring that down to less than 10%.

How much total time are you spending on the accounting work at the end of each month?

- Month end isn't a lot as long as I've got the daily work done. Maybe 4-5 hours max to do all of the monthly tasks that I do.

@Jenny-Oest
    Which fields are missing in the transaction file to Zapier?

Here is what I want to extract:

FIRST: - smart tag yes; API yes;
    LAST: - smart tag yes; API yes;
    ADDRESS1: - smart tag unknown; API no;
    ADDRESS2: - smart tag unknown; API no;
    CITY: - smart tag unknown; API no;
    STATE: - smart tag unknown; API no;
    ZIP: - smart tag unknown; API no;
    EMAIL: - smart tag yes; API yes;
    UNIT: - smart tag yes; API no; (custom field)
    IN: - smart tag yes; API yes;
    OUT: - smart tag yes; API yes;
    NIGHTS: - smart tag yes; API no;
    ADULTS: - smart tag unknown; API yes;
    CHILDREN: - smart tag unknown; API yes;
    RES #: - smart tag yes; API no;

I'm currently trying to send an email to zapier, parse it there into a google sheet to create an .iif file, and then update quickbooks. I tried to use the direct API with MyVR but it would only find one reservation in my system and it was so old it didn't use the fields I needed - and it couldn't find another.

If I can identify the smart tags above, I'll be in business. 🙂 - and I know the data is in there, so there must be a smart tag for it?

• Jenny

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest Sorry I went AWOL, I was leading a group around Greece in my travel advisor mode ... its hard to focus on accounting after all that travel 🙂 Have you made any progress on the Zap?

• Leader

@carole no - all of my properties are in Panama City Beach so I have a new focus. Maybe in a few months I’ll get back to that.

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest Oh Jenny - I am so sorry. Sending you cyberstrength & recovery thoughts.

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.