Declining a booking

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest Thanks - so maybe I will revise the original one instead of cancelling it - I will offer it for a total of $1.00 for one of the nights she already has booked. And then I will revise her booked nights by $1.00.- I wonder what VRBO's booking fee will be on a $1.00 booking?

• Leader

@carole they won't change the VRBO fee. I have guests add on all the time, but that initial service fee doesn't change. They only refund it if you do a cancellation with a 100% refund.

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest Success 🙂 Here's what I did (maybe if anyone else is ever in this situation this will help:
    Since the guest had already gone ahead and booked the dates she actually wanted, adjusting her booking to the new dates would not work.
    So, I adjusted the bad dates to be a 1 night booking that overlapped with the correct dates. The system said she would not be able to book online but I switched it to "allow booking" and then I changed the price to $0.
    I sent her the new offer and then just manually went to the new quote and accepted it as the new reservation terms.
    After that it still showed the old (incorrect) dates as "tentative" and blocked on VRBO, so I went back to MyVr and clicked the status to "reserved" manually, and then went back into my listing on VRBO and it refreshed and now the dates are available online again.
    She does have a one night booking in my system which has a zero balance which I will just leave there..(Although based on what you said it probably won't hurt at this point if I cancel it?)

• Leader

@carole what about the service fee to the guest? Are they ok with paying it twice?

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest I thought that the fee isn't charged until the actual booking and then it is based on the dates/amount booked. Otherwise she has already paid a really large fee since she accidentally booked for 2 weeks and the only wanted 4 nights.

• Leader

@carole - It's included on their quote at the time of booking, but billed separately when the booking is accepted. If she booked two reservations with you, and you accepted both, she will be charged both Service fees.

• Leader

In the future, should you receive a booking request, and the guest then asks to make a change, simply revise the terms, and then ask the guest to approve them. Then they will be charged one Service Fee, and you can make any changes you wish to the reservation once it's accepted into MyVR.

• Leader

@Carole - it's my understanding that the only info returned to HomeAway in response to the booking request is whether or not it was accepted or declined. Any other changes we make on our system are not shared with HA.

This might be worth a phone call to your HomeAway PM representative to clarify? Perhaps things have changed?

• Newcomer

@jenny-oest How do we contact our Homeaway PM representative? I just cancelled a booking (at guest request, because Homeaway told them myVR had to do it, and myVR told me I had to do it) and I'm really chuffed that I might be penalized in some way.

So you're saying next time I should just change the reservation to be $1 or $0 dollars....but how do I make that night available? Having one night blocked could easily make me lose a whole week's worth of reservations if someone needs to book that week.

Being forced to cancel on the guest's behalf and then being penalized is unacceptable.

• Leader

@caroline-benzel - I went over this again today with my account manager.

• If you accept two reservation requests, then they will pay both service fees.
    • Whether you change the reservation to $0.00 or $1,000,000, the service fee amount will not change.
    • if a guest requests to cancel on an integrated listing (such as we have), we must still initiate the cancellation. AT THE MOMENT, they cannot differentiate the reasons for cancellations within our stats, so instead they give such partners more leniency on the point at which cancellations will effect your rankings. He assures me they are working on it.
    • I’ve also noticed that when cancelling, MyVR is now collecting the reason for cancellation, which parallels what HomeAway is asking. So I’m thinking there is active work going on behind the scenes.
    • there is no free workaround, other than the homeaway leniency.
    • IMHO - if you’re not cancelling 25% of your bookings, just cancel and move on.

• Leader

FYI - the guest requested cancellation without penalty for non- integrated listings has recently rolled out which is why the change for integrated listings can’t be far behind.

• Newcomer

@jenny-oest Thanks Jenny! Your responses are always super helpful! I feel better now 🙂

• Newcomer

Hi Jenny - I somehow ended up with one confirmed reservation and one tentative reservation for the same guest, same dates and property, source VRBO. Is there any risk of penalty to me for closing the tentative reservation?

• Leader

@tracy-lucente - that all depends upon the source of the tentative reservation. What's the history behind that and the confirmed one? Are they both through HomeAway as reservation requests?

• Newcomer

@jenny-oest For the tentative reservation, the source is VRBO and the confirmed booking is HomeAway.

• Leader

@tracy-lucente - ugh. The tentative then is no doubt a reservation request? Has it expired or is it waiting for your action? No matter how you do this, you will have to cancel or decline the second one, but probably better to decline than cancel. Either way, unless this happens frequently, it won't start to hurt your rankings. You can't keep both, because the guest would be charged the service fee twice.

• Newcomer

Ok thanks so much for your guidance.

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.