Door locks & keypad types

• Explorer

I'm looking into installing a smart door lock that allows me to control codes from my home 400 miles away. My property is ocean front so I expect that the environment will affect whatever I install. I have internet already and the house is located in a remote area where cell service most likely is not available for the majority of travelers.

I'm looking for feedback on the following:

a). touchscreen or pushbutton keypad preferences and experience in durability, reliability, etc.

b). smart lock brand, hub, features, cost, reliability, experience pros/cons, etc.

I'm leaning towards a Kwickset or Schlage with keypad and keyed deadbolt paired with Vera as the web interface controller. Anyone with experience on these two brands and Vera?

• Leader

@mary-freiberg - have a Schlage at one beach house and RL4000 resort locks on my other condos at the beach. I am forever having issues with "Wink Hub Offline" errors that block my ability to generate codes on the Schlage. If internet is ever an issue, you can't generate codes. With my RL4000 (Resort Lock) the lock is not online - simply pre-programmed with plenty of codes. I've found it to be far more dependable. As for durability, the RL4000 key plates do wear down a bit faster, but you can order a replacement faceplate when needed for less than $100.

• Explorer

@jenny-oest Thank you. Good to know about Wink. I've been looking at Vera since they don't charge monthly fees. And I've bounced around the ResortLock too.

• Contributor

@jenny-oest said in Door locks & keypad types:

Wink Hub Offline

We have the Schlage locks on all of our Chicago lofts and we have the Wink Hub Offline issue as well. It's not a dealbreaker for us because we always have a person in the building who can restart the route or just manually chance the code (it is very easy to change). Of course it would be better to now have this problem all of the time. ....

• Leader

@carole I have a workaround by having two emergency codes already set. I can always give a guest one of those and then change it when I'm back online.

• Contributor

@jenny-oest That's a great idea.... but for some reason, in one of our lofts I think we would be giving every guest that emergency code :-(..
    We still have to do manual entry of codes on the exterior keypad to the building (it is an old Mircom system). So I have someone to check it - if we ever chance the Mircom to a system that is remotely programable I suspect I would want to revisit the interior locks as well....

• Leader

@carole to keep. In that case you might be better served with a preprogrammed lock like the Resort Lock.

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.