Exciting Improvements Coming to “FlipKey for RBO” Channel Management

• Leader

I've noticed that when I reply through the FlipKey dashboard, my message no longer comes back to the message thread in MyVR. Didn't it used to do that?

• MyVR Employee

@jenny-oest said in Exciting Improvements Coming to “FlipKey for RBO” Channel Management:

I've noticed that when I reply through the FlipKey dashboard, my message no longer comes back to the message thread in MyVR. Didn't it used to do that?

@Jenny-Oest no, it didn't used to do that. Currently working with TripAdvisor on a fix for this!

• Explorer

One of the main reasons I decided to use MyVR was to have control over the management of my two vacation cabins.

Today I received an email from TripAdvisor to reset my password and agree to the Terms and Conditions. Upon reading the Terms and Conditions, it seems that I will not receive payment for reservations until 24 hours after the guests arrive. Payments will be collected and remitted directly through TripAdvisor.

My previous payment terms for FlipKey was 50% upon booking and 50% 30 days prior to arrival. Am I correct that if I agree to list on TripAdvisor/Flipkey, I will not receive payment until 24 hours after the guest arrives?

• MyVR Employee

@donna-notaro said in Exciting Improvements Coming to “FlipKey for RBO” Channel Management:

Today I received an email from TripAdvisor to reset my password and agree to the Terms and Conditions. Upon reading the Terms and Conditions, it seems that I will not receive payment for reservations until 24 hours after the guests arrive. Payments will be collected and remitted directly through TripAdvisor.
    My previous payment terms for FlipKey was 50% upon booking and 50% 30 days prior to arrival. Am I correct that if I agree to list on TripAdvisor/Flipkey, I will not receive payment until 24 hours after the guest arrives?

Thanks for asking this question, @Donna-Notaro. It is correct that TripAdvisor/FlipKey will not release payments until 24 hours after the guest arrives. The reason for this change is because the previous MyVR & TripAdvisor/FlipKey connection only provided leads, and actual bookings were completed through MyVR. This allowed users to set their payout settings through MyVR.

With this new upgrade now providing bookings and instant bookings, the transaction is completed through FlipKey and requires their payout terms. You can still set your booking policies to collect 50% at booking and 50% at 30-days out, but they will still be paid out at the 24 hours after checkout timeline.

• Leader

@donna-notaro - note also that if a guest cancels, your payment is received within 24 hours of cancellation. It will be whatever funds apply per your cancellation policy. Mine is no refunds, 25/50/25+deposit. So if they cancel within 60 days, I'll get 75%, assuming it's not cancelled due to non-payment.

-- Jenny

• MyVR Employee

We've had a handful of inquiries asking about the new FlipKey connection in their account being FlipKey for PMs instead of FlipKey for Owners. This is the correct application that should be in accounts as the FlipKey for PMs connection encompasses all the key upgrade features.

We recognize it may look a little confusing since not everyone is considered a PM. We're considering some changes for the application name and will communicate if/when we do.

• Newcomer

I’m in the process of “upgrading” my integrated account to the new FlipKey Channel. From what little I’ve seen on the site so far, I’m not sure of the clear benefits over the current/previous(?) setup (notwithstanding the list at the top of this page). One of the biggest attractions of MyVR is a single point to manage everything to do with each property rental, not to also have to manage external sites with their own terms for payments etc. Can any Owners or PMs who have switched and have been working with the new system provide any insight on the benefits, pros and cons of the upgraded version vs. the current (before I read 30 pages of T&C’s)?

Unfortunately, I’ve found that the changes made by VRBO/HomeAway a few months back have greatly hurt the professionalism and ease of communication I was able to have with renters (and perhaps more importantly) potential renters using the great tools available with MyVR, and I’m afraid this is another step in that direction (I understand of course, that MyVR doesn’t have control over what these other companies within the industry decide to do or require).

• Leader

@jim-knape
    Hi Jim,

I didn't use Trip Advisor before so I don't have the point of comparison, but I do use it now, and the integration isn't ideal as yet. I think HomeAway is well integrated with MyVR in that you can do everything within MyVR. Trip Advisor isn't there yet, but I know they are working on it. As you can see by the above list, it's a work in process. I am counting on the MyVR integration at this point to update my pricing and listing info, and managing the communication after the reservation is accepted. To be honest, that's a huge plus for me so I welcome that. With inquiries, I have to log into the TA dashboard to communicate, and it has some unwelcome side-effects within MyVR. When I send the guest a quote as they request, I end up with a tentative reservation in MyVR, which is NOT what I want. And even the reservations don't reflect the terms the way I'd like, but I work around all of it. I think we will eventually get there, but it's an elephant to eat one bite at a time.

And yes, VRBO has blocked direct communication with guests until after booking, but that really hasn't slowed us down - it's just changed a bit how we have to articulate ourselves in writing with the guest prior to booking. I do work on getting my company name out there anyway, and many guests are getting smart and learning to call me or land on my website and tell me "I'm the same Karen that just emailed you though VRBO...". Find ways for them to easily Google you, and guests will find their way to you.

My personal opinion, is that the service fee will go away and solely be charged to the owners as a commission in the long run. They will compete with booking.com in that way. They may also eliminate guest to owner direct communication altogether. So be ready for that. That's what I'm bracing to deal with. - BUT that is MY personal opinion and forecast. Sorry to be a Debbie-Downer.

• Jenny

• Explorer

@jim-knape

Hi Jim,

We've been on Flipkey/TripAdvisor for about 10 years or so. When MYVR started their channel integration with this particular listing site we didn't embrace it fully for two reasons:

1. The new MYVR/TripAdvisor listing was MYVR's and we couldn't do basic things such as respond to reviews. They had to do this for us.

2. If we gave up our traditional FlipKey/TripAdvisor listing we would lose all those 5 - star reviews we've worked so hard to build up over the years. So we've kept that listing going as well.

With the updated integration that does not use a subscription to list on their site, going forward we are now eligible to be designated as a "site of excellence" and have our listing boosted up in the ranks. More eyes on our property may translate into more heads in our beds.

The no-communication thing is an unfortunate course taken by the listing sites (Homeaway/VRBO, AirBnB, TripAdvisor) and precludes my willingness to book events such as weddings through them because there are documents which must be shared and agreed to in order to make those happen without too many snags. Actually I'm still in the process of setting up my new integration with MYVR so we'll see how this works out.

Darrell

• Newcomer

@JENNY OEST, @DARRELL LOONEY112 - thanks for your feedback - Jim

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.