How do Split Refunds post?

• Leader

When I have collected several payments, and then go to refund my security deposit (which is always collected in the FINAL payment), the refund automatically applies beginning with the first payment collected until the total is reached (instead of where it was collected). If these are charged to different credit cards, that would be an issue, but it's typically the same card.

But my question is, if the refund is then SPLIT between multiple charges, then
    how will be refund appear on the guest's credit card? One single credit or multiple credits?

This example shows the default when I start to refund Linda's $300 deposit that was paid with her last installment (the $626.92 charge).

0_1526924643982_Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 11.28.39 AM.png

• MyVR Employee

Hi @jenny-oest

Thank you for your inquiry, this is a great question! When a refund is split between multiple charges as in your example, Stripe will issue each refund separately. Therefore, it will appear to the guest as multiple refunds.

• Leader

@wendy-gold - and the spin-off question to this...

Since the payment schedule already specifies that the security deposit is part of the final payment, why doesn't the refund of those same funds default to that payment and card?

Jenny

• MyVR Employee

@jenny-oest said in How do Split Refunds post?:

Since the payment schedule already specifies that the security deposit is part of the final payment, why doesn't the refund of those same funds default to that payment and card?

That sounds like a feature request 😛

In all seriousness, we don't use this default because we feel it wouldn't be a good user experience as deposits currently work. Before we're willing to do anything automatically with deposits, we would like to look into allowing more customization around which payments contain refundable deposits. Rest assured, improving our current deposits system is very much on our mind 🙂

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.