Unresolved Stripe Payment/Decline

• Explorer

I have a strange Stripe issue. My upcoming guest did not recognize Stripe was us charging them for their stay and they declined the charge. The payment under the reservation still says "paid". How do I rectify this? Also, how do I make our name show up so we are identified with Stripe and guests can know Stripe is our online merchant. Told them this in the email but they missed it until it was too late.

Thanks!

Darrell

• MyVR Employee

Hi @darrell-looney112,

Thanks for reaching out. If the customer disputed the charge, there is a dispute resolution process through which you can respond and submit evidence to make your case that the payment was valid. If the dispute is found in your favor, the disputed amount and fee is returned back to you. If a dispute is upheld, the card issuer’s decision is final and the cardholder’s payment remains refunded. For more information about the dispute resolution process through Stripe, please see the following article: https://stripe.com/docs/disputes

To change the name of your Stripe account's internal name, go to Setup > Booking & Payments > Merchant Accounts, and then use the Actions drop down menu next to your Stripe account and select Manage. From there, use the icon outlined in red below to edit the account's name.
    0_1525706154429_c7b06b8e-5565-40f1-a6dd-2c9d97657c1e-image.png Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.14.38 AM

To make the Stripe account and charge identifiable to your customers, you will probably want to change the Statement Descriptor to something easily recognizable.

• Explorer

Thanks for the information. The issue is not the resolution process. The issue is that the "payments" under the reservation for this guest still says "Paid" and did not revert to any kind of disputed or declined status. So once they give me the new card I can process the payment but the accounting will be off by this amount. This is what I would like to fix.

Thanks!

DL

• MyVR Employee

Hey @darrell-looney112,

The correct way to resolve a dispute like this is to have the guest cancel the dispute with their bank. Unfortunately there's no way around either that or completing the dispute resolution process. After the dispute is settled in your favor or the guest cancels the dispute with their bank, the funds will be returned to you.

• Explorer

Thanks again, but the issue is not the dispute resolution. The issue is that even though the payment was disputed, the payment still says "Paid" on my account. The guest cancelled their card so when they give me the new number to fix the problem, the account is going to be off by the amount in question this time (see attached). Any way to fix this particular issue 0_1526095592111_Amex Dispute issue_LI.jpg so that the accounting can be correct on the site?

Thanks!

Darrell

• MyVR Employee

@darrell-looney112

You should be able to refund that payment using the Actions dropdown menu next to the payment. From there you can add a new credit card and proceed to charge for that payment. When you select "Charge Credit Card", on the resulting pop up make sure you click on the card that's being charged and select the newly added credit card.

• Explorer

@wendy-gold - Can I mark it as "Refunded" without actually debiting my account? Thanks!

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Darrell-Looney112 ,

While you currently cannot mark a particular payment as refunded without issuing a refund, you can record a refund not associated with the payment that is for the same amount as the payment.

To do this, you'd first open the reservation and then follow these steps

1. Click on "Actions" in the upper right corner of the screen and select "New Refund"
      0_1526338404171_Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 3.52.41 PM.png
    2. Select "Record a Refund" in the resulting modal
      0_1526338463981_Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 3.53.57 PM.png
    3. Make sure "Refunding a Deposit" is set to "No" and enter the amount of the payment you are refunding in the "Amount" field.
    4. Click "Record Refund"
      0_1526338608152_Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 3.54.44 PM.png

Best,
    Danny

• Leader

@darrell-looney112 - are you actually going through a dispute resolution process, or was the original charge declined and therefore never actually processed?

If you were paid, and now facing a "chargeback" then I'd be concerned whether or not you are actually following the dispute resolution process, or just having them repay it. If you don't actually refund it, then it's still in dispute and if you LOSE (ie they don't honor the original payment) YOU will also have to pay the chargeback fees. You mentioned them giving you a different card for payment. That's why I'm concerned that they are not clearing your record.

Alternatively, if the original charge was declined, yet the reservation payment status changed to Paid anyway, I'd report that as a technical issue.

• Explorer

Hi Jenny,

No that part is already resolved.

Danny helped me fix my main issue which is to have a balanced sheet for this particular reservation by indicating that a refund happened without repeating the action. The whole thing was an error on the part of my guest because she didn't recognize Stripe as my merchant even though emails were sent prior indicating the charge was coming. I wonder if there is a descriptor issue here as well since I had set up the Stripe account to indicate the name of my business with all charges.

Darrell

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.