Recommended file size for property images?

• Explorer

Is there a recommended file size for property images, such as a minimum and maximum size to provide the best viewing and website speed? Is there a way to access a list or database of all of the photo files that we have uploaded?

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Ann-Karako,

Is there a recommended file size for property images, such as a minimum and maximum size to provide the best viewing and website speed?

Yes, there is an ideal size for property images. Generally, bigger is better. MyVR will automatically save your images in multiple sizes after you upload it and use the best size for every situation. For example, we might display a smaller version of the image when viewing your photos on mobile vs. desktop. Giving MyVR a large image to start allows MyVR to save a large range of sizes to use. Here is a great post that goes into more details on optimizing your property photos.

Is there a way to access a list or database of all of the photo files that we have uploaded?

There is no central place to look at all of the photos you have uploaded in MyVR. There are many ways you can upload photos in MyVR: as property images, email attachments, website images, etc. You can, however, view all of the images you've uploaded for a particular property by going to Properties > My Properties > (Select a Property) > Photographs

0_1502993828883_Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 11.16.06 AM.png

Best,
    Danny

• Explorer

Hey Danny, that link to the other thread isn't pulling anything up for me.

We hired professional photographers and the photos turned out great. They were just very large. We uploaded them and our page load speed is terrible, so we shrunk them down a bit and uploaded them again. Our page load speed is still bad. Any suggestions?

Could you relink to that forum thread?

It sounds like in your reply large photos are better, but then wouldn't everyone have load speed issues?

Thanks,

Chad

• MyVR Employee

Hi Chad,

It really depends on your website template. I'd go for a resolution of no more than 1600px in the largest dimension.

• Explorer

Thanks,

The originals we received were something like 5000 pixels by 3000 from the photographer. They were huge.

Currently we are down to most of them right around 1000 after resizing.

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Chad-Service ,

We limit the size of the photos displayed on your websites, so your photos probably aren't causing the issue with speed. You can use tools like Google's PageSpeed Insights to help diagnose what is causing the slowdown. When investigating page speed, it's useful to compare to other similar websites such as HomeAway.

Cheers,
    Danny

PS: I fixed the link in my old post

• Explorer

Thanks Danny,

Its weird though.

We are actually running page speed test where Google themselves gives us a list of pictures to optimize saying they are impacting load speed. Currently our score was 29/100.

We seem to be getting different feedback. Any thoughts?

• MyVR Employee

@Chad-Service are you saying your pictures have been uploaded at 1000px?

• Explorer

Tristan, we originally uploading the original photos we received from TruPlace that were about 5000x3000 pixels.

We started reducing all the photo sized by about 75% to on average 1200x800 in an attempt to improve web page load speed as our scores for that are terrible.

However, it didn't seem to make much of a dent if at all.

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Chad-Service I'm seeing your page speed score at 48. Not 29. Happy to open a support ticket if you'd like to discuss further.

• Explorer

Interesting.

It was my supervisor Kevin that told of the score. Perhaps we didn't wait long enough for an updated one? I am not sure, but will have him run it again.

Thanks for all the help. I will let you know if we decide we need a support ticket!

Thanks,

Chad

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.