Shared / Combination Properties -- Calendar Management?

• Explorer

Hello all.

I have 3 condos that I own/manage, all in a 4 unit building called Sonenalp at Canyon Lodge. We've had units 3 & 4 for several years but recently added a third, unit 1.

We rent them individually and/or together as 6 or 9 bed combination rentals. All are listed individually on HA/VRBO with MYVR calendar-only integration (though I am open to full integration if that would help with my issue). We also have a HA/VRBO combined listing with the 6 bedroom option for two specific condos together (# 3 & 4). Two of the condos are also listed on Airbnb with full integration with MYVR.

With the 3rd condo now in our inventory and the ability to rent what seems like a head-spinning number of combinations (condo 1 & 3 together, condo 1 & 4 together, condo 3 & 4 together, condo 1, 3, 4 together, each alone, etc.) I'm having increasing difficulty with calendar integration. There's also a possibility that I will add the 4th condo (#2) within a few months, so I need to get the chaos under control asap.

Has anyone conquered this kind of shared property challenge in a way that maximizes automation and requires minimum human manual intervention? Like most humans, I'm going to get make human errors, so at some point, I'm going to mess up a booking.

I have considered getting rid of the combined listing and advertising/booking the properties separately but I very much benefit from the having my listing be one of the very that comes up in a VRBO/HA search for 6 bedrooms. If I add a listing for the 9 bedroom option, we will be the only return in a VRBO/HA search for 9 beds.

1. Does anyone else have this kind of 'shared properties' set up?
    2. If so, how do you manage calendars?

Best,
    Mary Beth

• Leader

@Mary-Beth-Ericson - I have eight condos in one building and yes, people rent them individually, or multiple units as a family or group. I just explain to the guest that I am processing each one as an individual reservation, and that's how I do it. I don't track the combination options.

If you want to minimize any duplication of emails that go out to a guest, you can always edit the outbox to eliminate the emails from all but one of the properties and then modify the ones that are being sent to reference all properties.

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Mary-Beth-Ericson ,

One option could be to make properties for the combined listings in MyVR. You could then use calendar syncing to ensure that nights rented for the combined listing block on the individual listings. Here is What I am thinking, using condos 3 and 4 as examples

1. Create a property in MyVR for "Condo 3 & 4 Combined"
    2. Import your HA "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" calendar in your MyVR "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" calendar
    3. Create a Calendar Export for "Condo 3 & 4 Combined", import into "Condo 3"
    4. Create a Calendar Export for "Condo 3 & 4 Combined", import into "Condo 4"
    5. Add a warning on your "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" HA listing to the effect of "this listing is also unavailable whenever either of the following properties are booked" with links to the individual listings.

With this setup, all events for "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" will automatically block the individual "Condo 3" and "Condo 4" calendars. The "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" calendar won't include the blocking events of "Condo 3" and "Condo 4", but your potential renters will still be able to look this up on their own. You would simply need to reject any reservation requests during times where either "Condo 3" and "Condo 4" is unavailable. This isn't ideal, but it allows you to to keep the combined listing with a bit less work.

Cheers,
    Danny

• Leader

@Danny-Eiden - to continue that thought, why not import BOTH condo 3 AND condo 4 into the combined calendar in MyVR? Then if either one books, the joint one is also booked? You might see some duplicates though if a different reservation comes from each of the individual condos, but you're not going to be double booked.

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest said in Shared / Combination Properties -- Calendar Management?:

@Danny-Eiden - to continue that thought, why not import BOTH condo 3 AND condo 4 into the combined calendar in MyVR? Then if either one books, the joint one is also booked? You might see some duplicates though if a different reservation comes from each of the individual condos, but you're not going to be double booked.

When I first typed my response I was going to recommend exactly this, but then I realized it would cause the following issue

"Condo 3" is booked for 1/1 - 1/7
    == Export to "Condo 3 & 4 Combined"==>
    "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" is booked for 1/1 - 1/7
    == Export to "Condo 4"==>
    "Condo 4" is booked for 1/1 - 1/7

So now "Condo 4" is marked as unavailable during days that it will actually be free. As soon as you start import and exporting from "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" you create this issue where "Condo 3" and "Condo 4" will get each others' events.

There may still be a way around this through some trickery, but I haven't thought of one yet.

Cheers,
    Danny

• Explorer

@Jenny-Oest , I'm less concerned with email (low threat) and more concerned with calendar sync (high threat).

When I only had VRBO/HA, and only had 2 condos with a combined listing for both, I simply imported my calendars from 3 and 4 to the combined listing calendar. Reciprocally, I had 3/4 combined reservations import to the individual calendars. Worked great.

But with adding new properties, new potiential combinations of properties, and additional channels, plus MYVR as 'master' for all, I'm floundering for a system, and have been for a while.

I find the simplicity of your system (keeping each calendar individually) attractive, but I'm unsure how to keep the HA/VRBO/Airbnb/etc calendars synced without manaully inputting or removing reservations as relevant to each property.

• Explorer

@Jenny-Oest, @Danny-Eiden ,

Thanks to both of you for your input.

When I first signed with MYVR, I created a property "condo 3/4 combined." I don't advertise the combo listing on MYVR but use it as a 'back office' property for syncing, email templates, etc. (Now that I have another property, I also have a back office listing for each possible combination of rental that I've needed so far .... (1&3, etc)

I've tried multiple methods of syncing using the 3/4 combo calendar, including the one you and Jenny suggested, with the same outcomes you predict.

It's not ideal. Would full integration help in any way, Danny? I'm reluctant to lose reviews, but the last time I checked, as long as I integrate fewer than 5 properties, reviews port over.

• Leader

@Mary-Beth-Ericson -I wonder if there would be a way to do it by changing how the import/export works - using reservations AND blocking events? Let's play with this a bit using the advanced settings?

First, set up your exports:

1. If a reservation is booked on any property, then a RESERVATION is exported. Use the advanced EXPORT settings to export ONLY RESERVATIONS.

0_1499212469369_export reserved.png

0_1499212490576_export links.png

Now, set up your IMPORTS from those above links.

1. Use the advanced settings to IMPORT from these links as UNAVAILABLE (which prevents further booking on the group property, but does not export back to any other properties) You'll need to set up an import/export for each property.

0_1499212825897_import unavailable.png

This should allow only the reservations to block another calendar, but not bounce back.

Let me know how this works - I haven't tested it.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Explorer

@Danny-Eiden
    Looks like this topic has been marked "solved."

Wondering if I missed your answer as to whether full integration of my properties would help with my issues or simplify in any way?

I'm willing to try any solution, but don't want to start trying until I know what my options might be.... (integration vs Jenny's suggestions above)

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Mary-Beth-Ericson,

Wondering if I missed your answer as to whether full integration of my properties would help with my issues or simplify in any way?

Sorry about missing your full integration question. I am fairly certain that a full integration won't help with the specific issue you are having with keeping combined listings in sync with their composite individual listings. The main benefits of a full integration are keeping your property information in sync with VRBO and managing VRBO reservations within MyVR.

Regarding Jenny's suggestion, that might just be crazy enough to work. To put a finer point on it, here is how I would specifically attempt to set up your Condo 3 & 4 situation

1. Export both reserved and unavailable events from "Condo 3", import as unavailable in "Condo 3 & 4 Combined"
    2. Export both reserved and unavailable events from "Condo 4", import as unavailable in "Condo 3 & 4 Combined"
    3. Export only reserved events from "Condo 3 & 4 combined", import as unavailable or reserved (doesn't matter which) in "Condo 3"
    4. Export only reserved events from "Condo 3 & 4 combined", import as unavailable or reserved (doesn't matter which) in "Condo 4"
    5. Make sure all blocking events on "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" that weren't imported from "Condo 3" or "Condo 4" are recorded as reservation events, not unavailable events

So long as you continue to make sure that every blocking event you create on "Condo 3 & 4 Combined" is recorded as a reservation, this should keep all 3 calendars in sync. Brilliant, @Jenny-Oest

I definitely recommend trying his on some dummy properties first, as I haven't tested this myself. If you do, please let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
    Danny

• Leader

@Danny-Eiden - WooHoo! Score one for crazy Jenny! 🙂 LMAO. Lovin' it.

• Explorer

@Danny-Eiden and/or @Jenny-Oest

Am I right in thinking I will need to set up a separate ical 'connection' for each of the 3 and 4 imports into the Combination calendar?

• Leader

@Mary-Beth-Ericson - the export link is set up one for each property. The import receiving from each exported link would be set up separately. So you set up three exports, one for each property, and 4 imports:

• import to property 3 from 3/4
    • import to property 4 from 3/4
    • import to property 3/4 from 3
    • import to property 3/4 from 4

• Explorer

Thanks. I hate to be so slow, but it is what it is.

What I'm seeing is that there is only one import opportunity per ical connection, per property.

What am I missing?

1_1499304127386_icalcapture.JPG 0_1499304127386_importical.JPG

• Explorer

By George, I think I got it. If I do 'got it' I'm going to send you an actual hotdog, not just virtual. 😉

• Leader

@Mary-Beth-Ericson - yes, one import option per export per property. The way I outlined it above, it shouldn't violate that rule.

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest (aka Genius Jenny)!!! Can you come over and set this up for me, too? I have a similar problem (two units, Alpha & Beta, that rent as one SkyVilla, in my case, Sky Villa is on my calendar as a separate advertised 6 bdrm unit. I have been blocking the dates manually with calendar events - alas as I am a mere mortal I missed one, and just discovered that I've now double booked one half of the Sky Villa 😞

• Leader

@Carole - oh dear - double bookings - yikes!

You should be able to apply this same logic to your calendars too.

Property 3 = Alpha
    Property 4 = Beta
    Property 3/4 = SkyVilla

But I'm afraid I can't do it for you. I'm just a mere user - not an all-powerful MyVR staffer...

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.