Can I automatically add custom discounts to reservations?

• Newcomer

Hello,

I provide a discount for stays of 4 nights or more. Is there a way to automate this discount when someone books?

If not, what is the best way provide the discount to the guest prior to processing their payment? I currently create a new quote that includes the discount, set it as the new reservation terms, process the payment and send the guest an email. (I have my system set up that I have to approve all submitted reservations and payments.) The only problem with this is that it then shows that the rental agreement has not been approved and I don’t want to make the guest go through another step.

The other option I have thought about doing is charging the full amount and then immediately issuing a refund. Does anyone know how that would show up on the guest’s credit card - as one or two transactions?

Thanks!

• Leader

@Windsock-Acres

Is this a pricing structure that you have applied on a listing site like HomeAway? One problem with adopting an automated pricing structure on your website that is unsupported by the listing sites would be losing your ability to accurately use channel management.

How do you publish that information now on the listing sites, and how does the book-it-now handle it? Are you using listing sites or only your website?

• MyVR Employee

@Windsock-Acres Wanted to get a few answers out for your specific questions:

– Is there a way to automate this discount when someone books?

We do not automate discounting if it is outside the standard rate structure (weeknight, weekend night, weekly, monthly). Sounds like you already do this, but I should be clear you can add a discount of any kind to a quote you build manually by adding a negative fee (as you are doing when you change the terms).

– If not, what is the best way provide the discount to the guest prior to processing their payment?

If you are using a payment schedule, you could apply the discount and reduce the subsequent payment due.

You also have the option, given the method you laid out, to not require the person to agree to a contract again - you can let MyVR know this by marking the contract as agreed manually. Click the agreement status:
    0_1488666876694_agree_contract.png

Record the method, time, and date, and then save:
    0_1488666913731_record_agreement.png

– The other option I have thought about doing is charging the full amount and then immediately issuing a refund. Does anyone know how that would show up on the guest’s credit card - as one or two transactions?

This would show up as two transactions. More about refunds from Stripe here.

As @Jenny-Oest mentioned, there are potential ramifications around channel management/syncing if you were to apply an automated discount that doesn’t meet what the industry has adopted (e.g. a different rate for weekly vs nightly).

Lastly, I slightly modified your post title.

• Newcomer

@Markus-Nordvik Thank you Markus and Jenny. Those are good suggestions, although it still adds additional steps, which I was hoping to streamline. I don’t subscribe to other channels, but I see why it would be a problem to have customized automatic discounts.

About the MyVR Community

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.