Booking Process Special Requests

• Explorer

On my web site's booking page, two "special request" check boxes are presented to the user. In my property setup, I have selected NO PETS and NO SMOKING. I would have expected that this would suppress these options. Is there another location where I need to turn these options off so they will not display?

Thanks,

Matthew

0_1488426449428_Capture_103 Mar. 01 22.32.jpg

0_1488426475827_Capture_104 Mar. 01 22.44.jpg

• Newcomer

I have the same set up and just tried to select both buttons through my website. It did not allow me to do so. I agree, though, that it would be better to have the ability to remove the text or even better - to create customized buttons (e.g. additional mattress, no down, gluten-free, etc.)

• MyVR Employee

Hi folks!

Yes, this can be done. We've gotten this question a few times, so it sounds like we could probably make this clearer to users as to how this works.

We separate the property setting vs what you ask on the website forms, so you have more flexbility. That is, we let you include the check boxes on the forms even if you specify at the property that this property doesn't allow pets/smokers because some hosts want to ask anyway (so that they know this person is a smoker or this person wants to bring a pet). With this, you potentially have more info at your disposable, should you want to go out of your way to, for example, reinforce your smoker/pet policies or even check to make sure a pet was not brought on the trip (in case the traveller tries to sneak Fido into your rental without telling you). Does that make sense?

To remove these checkboxes, you go to the booking page in our advanced Page Layout Editor, hover over the form where those checkboxes are included, and click on the settings for that form widget. You'll see the show/hide settings there. Here's a quick gif of my turning these off on my own website (below). Remember to save the page at the end (the green button in the bottom left of the screen).

I am having trouble embedding the animated gif, but try clicking on this: https://www.screencast.com/t/flS0PlN3L4zC

• Explorer

@Jonathan-Murray Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately it appears my entire book now menu is greyed out and unavailable for me to make direct changes. An ideas why?

0_1488489259436_booknow.jpg

• MyVR Employee

@Matthew-Giles -
    Well, that's interesting. Let me take a look.

• Leader

@Jonathan-Murray - can we edit or add boxes the same way?

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest we don't currently offer that, no. sorry!

• MyVR Employee

@Matthew-Giles -
    Well, it appears I stand corrected. Got some background from folks more knowledgable than me on this, and it appears it is currently only possible to remove those checkboxes on a single property website. It appears we added that some time back in response to a customer request, but did not add that functionality to the multi-property websites at the same time.

I also checked with the team to see if there was some way to do this for a user on the back-end (even though it's not in the UX of the product), but that capability doesn't currently exist. Definitely something we should do - would definitely suggest a feature request if it's of interest. Sorry I don't have better news here on this one.

• Explorer

I sure would like a check box for that other Suitability category: Disabled. It's a significant fraction of our clientele, but different disabilities require different preparations on our part. Would be nice to know this at the time of inquiry so we can ask about the guest's needs. I put in a request for this back in the fall. Do you keep those forever, or should I resubmit?

• MyVR Employee

@Ann-D-Liptak Hi Ann, we have your request on file - thanks!

• MyVR Employee

I want to quickly follow up on this old topic with a tip. If you do not want to accept any bookings with smokers or pets, you can send an automated message to renters who indicate that they will be smoking or bringing a pet. This would be an Inquiry Responder in our system. Here is an example of an inquiry responder that informs guests that pets are not allowed.

0_1490039123053_Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 12.42.02 PM.png

Allowing your renters to indicate whether they intend to smoke or bring a pet is in some ways advantageous. It allows you to get an honest answer regarding the renter's intentions and filter out any renters who intend to break your rules.

While this is one solution to the No Pets and No Smoking problem, I understand that people may prefer to not present these options at all. We still have removing these "Special Requests" check boxes from the checkout page as a to-do to improve our product.

Cheers,
    Danny

• Explorer

This post is deleted!

• Explorer

P.S. I just went to "request a feature" and had to add this to the list. Anyone who sees this thread, please vote for it. 🙂

• Leader

@ann-karako - I had the same thing happen a few months ago for the first time. Unfortunately, we DO have ONE pet-friendly unit, so I don't want to eliminate it from all properties - only from SOME properties. I DO agree that the flag should show up on the reservation if they have checked it during the reservation process. I'm heading to the feature request area too! 🙂

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.