[RESOLVED] Temporary Infrastructure Issues

• Contributor

@Danny-Eiden - I'm still having guests call me to tell me that my website isn't working. Is this still an issue? Can you implement a push system of some kind to notify us by email when the site is down? Thanks!

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Jenny-Oest

I'm still having guests call me to tell me that my website isn't working. Is this still an issue?

The issue with Amazon Web Services has been resolved. If your guests are still having problems on your website, please file an issue with us. We'll have our developers look into it.

Can you implement a push system of some kind to notify us by email when the site is down? Thanks!

We've taken steps to prevent extended downtime due to Amazon Web Services failure, so this shouldn't happen again any time soon. If you'd like to receive email alerts for site downtime, please send us a feature request.

Cheers,
    Danny

• Explorer

@Danny-Eiden said in [RESOLVED] Temporary Infrastructure Issues:

We've taken steps to prevent extended downtime due to Amazon Web Services failure, so this shouldn't happen again any time soon. If you'd like to receive email alerts for site downtime, please send us a feature request.

This is a very poor response to service quality. As customers, we should not have to request a feature to be notified for major outages of our business services thru you. I would venture to guess that most of your customers do not participate on this community forum and the only other place there was notification of this outage was on your twitter account which is had not had a post to it in 8 months.

I would have expected a response more in line with @Mike-Stachowiak's post earlier in the thread and would like to see MyVR provide us with an update on how you are putting a better communication plan in place for future outages such as this.

• Contributor

@Danny-Eiden - I'm not able to reproduce the error they reported to me so no concern for the moment. It may have been an "operator error", but just wanted to know if this might have been the explanation.

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Matthew-Giles,

You are right. Notifying customers of major outages is important, and we didn't do enough to let you know that MyVR was down. When I suggested @Jenny-Oest submit a feature request for downtime email notifications, I didn't have anything I could promise we would do differently in the case of a future major outage. We were still discussing how we handled the situation and what we could have done better. After speaking with Jon, I can at the very least say that we are looking into how we'd implement email notifications if an outage like this one occurs again. As Mike mentioned, we will let you know more when we have a new communication plan in place. I promise that MyVR will do a better job of notifying customers in the case of another mass outage.

Best,
    Danny

• Contributor

@Danny-Eiden - thank you Danny! The MyVR team is always quick to respond and this sounds like an easy procedural plan :).

• Explorer

@Danny-Eiden said in [RESOLVED] Temporary Infrastructure Issues:

Hi @Matthew-Giles,

You are right. Notifying customers of major outages is important, and we didn't do enough to let you know that MyVR was down. When I suggested @Jenny-Oest submit a feature request for downtime email notifications, I didn't have anything I could promise we would do differently in the case of a future major outage. We were still discussing how we handled the situation and what we could have done better. After speaking with Jon, I can at the very least say that we are looking into how we'd implement email notifications if an outage like this one occurs again. As Mike mentioned, we will let you know more when we have a new communication plan in place. I promise that MyVR will do a better job of notifying customers in the case of another mass outage.

Exellent! Thanks for the response @Danny-Eiden . Please keep us posted.

• MyVR Employee

@Matthew-Giles @Jenny-Oest

In response to last week's outage, we've created a new page to track the status of MyVR and associated systems. This status page is independently hosted and will be up even if we experience production issues. Going forward, we'll use this status page as our primary means of communicating production issues that may affect MyVR account holders (bookmark it!). You can optionally elect to receive notifications of any incidents via email from this status page.

Status Page: http://status.myvr.com/

In addition to MyVR's primary status page, we'll do our best to issue notifications in-app when possible and over Twitter @myvr.

• Contributor

@Mike-Stachowiak - Thank you! As to be expected from MyVR - great idea!

• Explorer

Thank you @Mike-Stachowiak! I appreciate you guys mobilizing to keep us informed moving forward. I've bookmarked the status and already subscribed to the email updates. Thanks again.

Matthew

• Contributor

@Mike-Stachowiak

How do we report a system down? This link says everything is operational, but it isn't. I've tried on three different devices.

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest You can always report issues here

Regarding MyVR being down, we have just performed some basic checks (including visiting the website ourselves), and everything appears to be operational. Please report an issue using the link above if this still isn't the case for you.

• Explorer

@Danny-Eiden I am trying to use the system and while it opens and I see some things - I cannot email guests - nor can I see their reservations. It also shows that I have no bookings on my calendar.

• MyVR Employee

We are experiencing elevated page load times, which may in some cases lead to views in the MyVR account failing to render. We understand the cause and are working to solve the problem. I'll report back as soon as I know more, but please also be sure to follow updates on our dedicated status page: http://status.myvr.com/.

• MyVR Employee

We are fully recovered: http://status.myvr.com

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest said in [RESOLVED] Temporary Infrastructure Issues:

How do we report a system down?

The most effective way to report a potential system outage is to use the Report an Issue link after clicking on the Support button in your account. Although we do actively engage in conversation from forum posts, reports of problems as a rule are surfaced more quickly to our team.

In the event you experience what appears to be a system outage, we are likely to be aware of the problem, so the steps to follow would be:
    a) Check our status page: http://status.myvr.com/
    b) Submit an issue via the Support button in your account

If you are unable to access the Support button in your MyVR account, then please shoot me an email: markus at myvr dot com (it is highly unlikely we don't already know of the problem at that point via our monitoring systems, but better safe than sorry).

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.