How do I handle multiple tax rates on one reservation?

• Leader

I have a new situation with our local taxes. I need the ability to charge 3 different tax rates on different items. We have three different taxing authorities, and different items are exempt from certain taxes. I was charging all three taxes on all items, but a recent audit informed me that I was over charging.

I have one tax amount for rental (13.12%), another tax amount for cleaning (12%), and a third tax amount for optional add-ons (7%). This is how the tax offices have told me I need to charge.

The problem is, I don’t know how to do this within MyVR. Any suggestions?

THANKS!

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest Our tool will apply all fees you mark as a tax to any other item that is taxable, so there can be only one tax rate applied to taxable items.

In your situation, I would suggest including the tax in the fee’s price for those fees that have a special tax rate, and then marking them as not taxable so that your tax fees are not applied. For example, if your general tax rate is 13.12% and your cleaning fee is $100 but should be taxed at 12%, then make your cleaning fee $112 and you can change the name to “Cleaning Fee (includes tax)” as well as mark “Include in Tax Calculation” as No.

• Leader

@Markus-Nordvik - I decided this morning that’s what I would have to do, but if I eventually integrate with an accounting tool, that probably won’t work. It’s certainly made a MESS of my Quickbooks, because I have the same problem there - one tax rate and one class per invoice, so I have to invoice every item separately. UGH.

I can often end up with 4-5 invoices per reservation! And with every reservation I’ll have at least three. My head hurts. LOL

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest That does not sound fun. If others have this sort of highly complex and compartmentalized tax setup, we’d love for you to submit a feature request to let us know.

• Leader

My situation comes from having FL state sales tax, but then also the county Tourist Development Tax, and a City Business Tax. They all three tax different things. If you’re operating in FL, there’s a very good chance this would apply.

The easiest fix (my current situation) is to continue to quote and overcharge the guests. Beats under charging them.

About the MyVR Community

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.