COVID-19 Discussion

• Newcomer

Re: COVID-19 Discussion

Hi-- I have a property in Maui for vacation travelers. I have one cancellation today and two more probables. All would arrive in the next 30 days. Based on recommendations from HomeAway/VRBO and Airbnb policy these renters will get full refunds, a major loss to me.

• Leader

IN my market, I look at it this way. If I’m always fully booked and not working to get repeat guests, then this would be a loss. But only short term.

But if I’m playing the long game, this is an opportunity for me to strengthen my reputation and develop loyal, returning guests. I learned during hurricane MICHAEL some powerful lessons. When others were holding firm and reminding guests they should have purchased travel insurance, I fully refunded payments and had personal conversations with each individual. I not only had nearly all of those guests book again, but many other guests in the area heard that I refunded when “their owner” didn’t, and so THEY booked with me in the future too. Social media threw around company and owner names right and left. I don’t ever want to be “that owner” that angers guests during a community disaster and ends up on the “naughty list” on all the social media forums.

This time I gave guests a choice between future credits or a refund, and surprisingly more than half asked to reschedule.

But that’s just my opinion.

About the MyVR Community

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.