New! Damage Protection by Assurant - A new way to protect your properties!

• Newcomer

I looked at adding the new Damage Protection by Assurant to my property. I am confused because I chose the $1500 coverage for a cost to me of $40 that will be billed to me as soon as the guest books. It looks like the guest will be also charged $59 for the coverage. So...Does the $59 go to Assurant and I also pay $40? This is expensive to pass on to the homeowner, I'd rather keep a deposit from guest. I would have to raise my rates to cover that.

• MyVR Employee

@samantha-and-randy-arbogast
    Hey Samantha,

Thanks for the question and apologies for the confusion. For the Basic option with $1500 in coverage, the premium you pay is $40. This is the only amount you have to pay for coverage.

If you elect to collect a damage waiver fee from your guests, this money goes directly to you. As with all rent and fees you charge, the money goes directly to you.

I hope that clarified things for you.

Cheers,
    Mike

• MyVR Employee

@matthew-giles

Hey Matt,

We don't currently have plans for such functionality but welcome the suggestion. Do you mind clicking on the "Support" button in-app and clicking "Suggest Feature" and providing more information. We'd love learn more about your needs on this front.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Newcomer

@mike-stachowiak thanks, so let me clarify to make sure I understand. If I elect to add the $1500 coverage fir $40 and I charge my guests $59 for this....I am covering the cost to me and profiting $19? Seems odd. I use the $59 example because that is what pops up automatically. It would make more sense if $40 was the auto suggestion from myvr.

• Newcomer

I was reading the fine print, it says I must file a police report for damages. That’s not possible for my location and ridiculous for bleached linens, etc....is this really the requirement?

• MyVR Employee

@samantha-and-randy-arbogast Correct - if you select the $1500 in coverage, you only have to pay $40 for the premium, nothing more.  If you elect to use damage protection, you have the option to charge a damage waiver, typically in lieu of a damage deposit.  As with all rental pricing in MyVR, you are welcome to set your rates and fees to whatever you like.  As a platform, we aim to give you the tools to run your business as you best see fit.

Cheers,
    Mike

• MyVR Employee

@samantha-and-randy-arbogast I would encourage you to speak with Assurant directly regarding what's covered and what's not covered, they can provide very detailed information as the underwriter.  There's contact information for Assurant in the Summary of Coverages section of the "Damage Protection by Assurant" application.  They can walk you through supplemental information that may be necessary to file a claim in different scenarios - for example if there's a fire that burns down your kitchen or if there's just some wine spilled on a rug.  The requirements can be different depending on the circumstance.

I can tell you from the claim form provided to MyVR, which is what you fill out to initiate a claim from MyVR, a police report case number may be required "for theft, burglary, and fire" and not in other circumstances.

We spent a lot of time researching the various providers out there and are very excited about our partnership with Assurant.  We believe the product they've crafted for MyVR customers is one of the best out there. We've made the process of initiating a claim in MyVR very simple, and often no further action is needed.

• Newcomer

@matthew-giles How do we offer this new damage protection to guests that have previously rented prior to this?

• MyVR Employee

@crystal-mclaughlin we do not have the ability to apply damage protection to past reservations at this time. The policy covers all reservations booked once Damage Protection is enabled.

• Newcomer

Thank you for adding this feature! The setup was simple and I'm confident my guests will prefer this over the damage deposit option.

• Newcomer

Hi Samantha - I'm looking into adding the Assurant coverage but I would like to apply it selectively to certain reservations. Is that possible? I currently have my own damage waiver and fee but might not always want to take the risk such as when I have a reservation for an extra large group. Is it possible to add the Assurant coverage only when I want it? The FAQ seems to imply it will be automatically applied to all reservations on a blanket basis from the point you sign up without any control per reservation. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

• Newcomer

@mark-norton
    Sorry, the above question should have gone to Mike Stachowiak (@Mike-Stachowiak). Thanks.

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.