Any suggestions on how to get customers to write reviews?

• Newcomer

I've been doing nightly rentals for a year now and have had all my customers tell me they have had a great time - no complaints.

I have my message templates set up to request a review sent 5 days after they checkout. I am having trouble getting people to write reviews and some of the channels - like Airbnb - only give a 2 week window for people to write reviews.

Any suggestions on how to get more people to take the time to write a review?

Thanks!

• Leader

@roanne-mayer - you might try sending the review request the night before they leave, while they are still high on the experience? 5 days after, they may have slipped back into the daily grind?

• MyVR Employee

@Roanne-Mayer - Jenny is definitely on to something. The quicker you can get them to leave a review, the better. I would suggest asking for one the night before they leave, and then following up at most a couple days later if they didn't leave one yet.

You can also always offer them an incentive as well - something like 10% off a future stay if they leave you a review and book through you directly next time.

• Leader

@jess-milligan I would respectfully disagree with associating a future discount with a positive review. It could be interpreted as buying reviews and might make the sincerity of them questionable.

Instead I approach my guests with "doing me a HUGE favor" 🙂 it seems to work.

Jenny

• MyVR Employee

@jenny-oest totally fair point of view!

• Leader

Here is the letter I send - feel free to use it if you wish, or tweak it to make it fit your personal style. Notice that I mentioned a 5-star review three times. 🙂

You're Invited to Write a Review!

Dear James,

We were so pleased to have you as our guest, and are looking forward to your return! Returning guests are our favorites!

Now, I have a HUGE FAVOR to ask of you 🙂

As you know, 5-star reviews on HomeAway are important to guests that are considering our property for their own vacation. They can make or break a vacation rental business such as ours. I suspect you read the reviews on our listing before you chose our site.

Would you mind sharing your kind comments with a 5-star review on our HomeAway/VRBO listing?

Prospective guests love to read about your favorite activities or amenities, your easy of booking or customer service, and perhaps your recommendations for their trip as well!

A few things guests like to know:
    Was the property as advertised?
    Did it appear just like the photos?
    Was the booking process easy?
    Was the unit clean upon arrival?
    Were all your questions answered or problems (if any) handled quickly and to your satisfaction?
    Was check-out easy?
    Did you enjoy any specific amenities, restaurants, or activities during your stay that you recommend to others?
    Did we exceed your expectations?
    Would you return / do business with this owner again?

This review will help us to increase the number of great guests like you who may stay with us in the future, by keeping us at the top of the list of properties with 5 star reviews!

We hope to have you stay with us again and since you enjoyed your stay, we also hope that you will tell all of your friends!

To post your review, just click HERE [<-- hyperlink directly to the listing review page]. If you have any difficulties, just give me a call!

Thanks again!

Jenny
    (614) 439-7691

P.S. We hope that you will feel confident giving us a 5-star review! We are working VERY hard to keep our ratings at the top!

• Newcomer

@jenny-oest said in Any suggestions on how to get customers to write reviews?:

Dear James,
    We were so pleased to have you as our guest, and are looking forward to your return! Returning guests are our favorites!
    Now, I have a HUGE FAVOR to ask of you
    As you know, 5-star reviews on HomeAway are important to guests that are considering our property for their own vacation. They can make or break a vacation rental business such as ours. I suspect you read the reviews on our listing before you chose our site.
    Would you mind sharing your kind comments with a 5-star review on our HomeAway/VRBO listing?
    Prospective guests love to read about your favorite activities or amenities, your easy of booking or customer service, and perhaps your recommendations for their trip as well!
    A few things guests like to know:
    Was the property as advertised?
    Did it appear just like the photos?
    Was the booking process easy?
    Was the unit clean upon arrival?
    Were all your questions answered or problems (if any) handled quickly and to your satisfaction?
    Was check-out easy?
    Did you enjoy any specific amenities, restaurants, or activities during your stay that you recommend to others?
    Did we exceed your expectations?
    Would you return / do business with this owner again?
    This review will help us to increase the number of great guests like you who may stay with us in the future, by keeping us at the top of the list of properties with 5 star reviews!
    We hope to have you stay with us again and since you enjoyed your stay, we also hope that you will tell all of your friends!
    To post your review, just click HERE [<-- hyperlink directly to the listing review page]. If you have any difficulties, just give me a call!
    Thanks again!
    Jenny
    (614) 439-7691
    P.S. We hope that you will feel confident giving us a 5-star review! We are working VERY hard to keep our ratings at the top!

Thank you Jenny and Jess for the GREAT suggestions!!!

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.