Possible to add fees to VRBO reservations after-the-fact?

• Explorer

Not all guests decide to bring pets or reserve our boat slip before making their reservation; some contact us afterwards. Are we able to add these fees to existing VRBO/HomeAway reservations by modifying the terms in MyVR? (I know this is not possible with Airbnb.) Any clarification would be great, thanks!

• Contributor

@Ann-Karako My experience with adding things after the original booking is that you have two choices:

1. A 'one off charge' (0_1558558957862_one off charge.jpg

2. Create a new quote which included the added fees:
      a) Copy the quote
      b) Add the fees
      c) Save the quote
      d ) Select the quote (you will see it as pending) and scroll done to Set As Reservation Terms.
      0_1558559117340_set the quote.jpg

• Leader

@Carole lays it out perfectly. But I would add that it's NOT necessary or even helpful to go back to VRBO to make any price adjustments. That might even change their Service fee amount to confuse matters further. I would choose one of Carole's suggestions, depending upon the item. If it's something you track across all reservations (example pet fee), then change the terms. If it's just a one time charge (ie postage for returning a left behind item) then use the one-off charge. 🙂

• Contributor

@Jenny-Oest My understanding is that if you add it to the booking and it is already linked to VRBO or HomeAway, the fees go up regardless (I believe that's true on the MyVR side as well, I know when I was adding my transfers and tours within the original booking using this method, the amount I paid out to MyVR increased as well because it was considered related to a channel managed booking.

• Explorer

@carole @Jenny-Oest Actually, one of our newer front desk people did this "accidentally" the other day -- she didn't realize she "couldn't" add a pet fee to a VRBO reservation and proceeded to do so by modifying the terms and charging the credit card. I called VRBO, and they have no record of the fee or payment thereof. They were unable to answer for me, even after looking at their MyVR integration policies, if this was something we are "allowed" to do or not... So what I'm getting from you both is that it's possible and OK to do so. We'll just have to wait and see if the VRBO fee goes up, I guess!

• Leader

I'm thinking it does not. Once they send the booking, everything is handled within MyVR. I've been making additions, changes, etc like that from the beginning and never had a guest say it changed. MANY reservations come in with 1-2 guests listed, but then 8 end op on the rental agreement. I don't change the price, but VRBO/HA would change the amount of the service fee if 8 were entered on the booking. I've added last minute extra nights, pet fees, pool heat, parking fees, etc. and never heard of the fee being changed. In fact, if they did, it would violate the terms and conditions of the contract.

When I make a change to the booking once I have it, I only give them my price change. I've never heard of a need to add a service fee to changes.

Whenever a guest asks me about the fee, I tell them that they can look at the service fee line on their original booking and that should be the same #. So far, so discrepancies.

Jenny

• Explorer

@jenny-oest I'm happy to hear that! Thanks for all of your input today. 🙂

• Contributor

@jenny-oest That's interesting since there must still be some connection between HA/Vrbo & MyVR because when I do a one off charge I'm still being charged the shared credit card fee from MyVR (which I am never charged on direct bookings that I either enter or which come from my own website.
    For example today I entered a one off charge and I can see in the finance section that I am being charged an application fee by MyVR, so there must be some connection to the original source of the reservation. Maybe the channels haven't figured out how to get their piece. 🙂

• Leader

@carole - yes - I don't think any reservation changes are communicated back to the HomeAway/VRBO group.

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.