Creating a new Multi-Property Website to Replace my Current One...

• Leader

I’d like to update my multi-property website, but my current one has a fair amount of customization to it. I’ll want to make some of those same changes to the new template when I switch, but I’ll need time to pull it all together before going ‘live’ with it.

With that in mind, just “switching” templates might not be the best choice since it will immediately change my live site.

My thought was to create a completely new multi-property website with a new template, and then when ready to publish, have the “MyVR Gods” move my custom domain to that site instead. Then I can de-activate the old site.

Would this be the best/safest way to go? Would there be SEO concerns? Thoughts?

• Explorer

@Jenny-Oest Good question Jenny. I have the same concern right now. I want to move from my single property site to a multi-property site since I am acquiring a new unit. But I want to make sure everything is up, moved over and looking good before activating the new multi-property version and moving my custom domain. Hopefully someone can provide some advice to us.

• MyVR Employee

Hi @Jenny-Oest and @Matthew-Giles -

OK, a few questions in here…

First, starting to build a second unpublished website and having it replace the first is a good way to get it right before you switch over. I think swapping templates on a website that has a high level of customization will undoubtedly require some clean-up after you do so, as it’s pretty challenging to carry over customized content from template to template. @Tristan-Brotherton may have some thoughts about that. So, in short, having a second one to get right before switching over seems like a safer bet. I wonder how difficult it would be to make a copy of your existing website for you, so that you could start with a copy of what you already have to save time. If you submit a feature request and ask if we can do this, I’ll have someone take a look. Perhaps this is a paid service we could offer users in the future.

Regarding SEO, you’ll need to make sure that pages that have been indexed by search engines aren’t lost before you flip the switch and move over to the new website. Will you be keeping the same pages and page URL’s on the new ones? If not, you’ll want to research site redirects. MyVR has a tool that you can use to set these up once you’ve researched.

We have different plans with different pricing structures, so folks just need to be aware of the cost of their website and whether there are up front fees associated with creating and launching a new website.

• Leader

“Regarding SEO, you’ll need to make sure that pages that have been indexed by search engines aren’t lost before you flip the switch and move over to the new website. Will you be keeping the same pages and page URL’s on the new ones? If not, you’ll want to research site redirects. MyVR has a tool that you can use to set these up once you’ve researched.”

Yes - and so this is why I’m asking the question. I’d like to essentially just be changing page CONTENT or appearance. I want menus to stay the same, etc. I do NOT want the spiders to think this is an all new website.

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest I can’t see how a design change would make the search engine think it’s a new website, especially if you’re not taking down any pages and the content remains the same. It’s just a visual change. You’re welcome to sign up for an hour-long consultation with an SEO expert from the MyVR Services Marketplace, if you want to explore this or other topics.

• Leader

@Jonathan-Murray it would depend upon how the new website is swapped in to replace the old one right? Is that something that we do or MyVR would do when we’re ready? Guess I’ll have to do more research. Thx!

• MyVR Employee

@Jenny-Oest Custom domain setups are generally something you’d do, but since this is a special case with an existing website, please reach out ahead of time and we’ll assist you. You’re really just mapping the custom domain to your new website and taking it off the old one. I don’t know that anyone’s ever done that before, so let’s keep an eye on it. It would be bad if the domain was not pointing to a website for a any meaningful amount of time.

• Explorer

Not sure if I understand all the details, but if you’re working on migrating platforms I’d keep in mind a few things:

• Make sure your dev or “building site” is not indexed in Google
    • Setup any needed redirects when launching the site live in MyVR’s tool in the admin area
    • Add Google Search Console and Google Analytics to the site to monitor for errors (Search Console has tool for any broken pages)
    • If you’re doing a domain migration during this process, make sure to setup a site move in Google Search Console (https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/83106?hl=en)

About the MyVR Community

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.