Can I input reviews onto TripAdvisor (MyVR channeling) from out independently listed Airbnb and VRBO sites?

• Newcomer

Don Aamodt
    Feb 20, 07:59 PST

The most recent posted review on TripAdvisor (& I assume Flipkey), both channeled through MyVr, is an old one - January 2017. I believe this old review and very limited number of reviews is a deterrent and one of the reasons we have not had an inquiry through TripAdvisor for many months (Fall of 2018). My question is, can I input our reviews from our independently listed Airbnb (34 reviews & Superhost) and HomeAway/VRBO (36 reviews & Premier Partner) sites onto the TripAdvisor site? One thing I do not want to do is ask our past guests to write a review for either Airbnb or VRBO/HomeAway and do the same for TripAdvisor/Flipkey, if that’s even possible…that would be too much of an inconvenience for our past guests.
    Thank you,
    Don
    Don Aamodt, Owner
    559-972-0050
    don@strawberrylakerental.com
    www.strawberrylakerental.com

• MyVR Employee

Hi Don,

Although you cannot transfer reviews from one channel to another, you can report a review on TripAdvisor if it violates any guidelines. Learn more about the guidelines and how to report a review on this TripAdvisor article.

Each channel has its own unique review process, review guidelines, and ranking system based on reviews (amongst other criteria). As a result, review integrity is highly important to each channel and they do not enable transfers.

-Anne

• Newcomer

Thank you Anne. I understand the review policy and why TripAdvisor would want to maintain review integrity, and not allow embedding more current reviews from other our other sites.
    I'm still left with the frustration of only having a small number of old reviews visible to potential travelers.
    I've communicated to Jess, Lindsay (& maybe Marcus) my disappointment regarding the inquiry process with TripAdvisor/Flipkey...from a dropped inquiry last Fall, i.e. communication lines between MyVR and TripAdvisor disappeared, to simply no inquires for months on end.

Don

Don Aamodt, Owner
    559-972-0050

• MyVR Employee

Hey @Don-Aamodt ,

TripAdvisor actually has a review solicitation tool for PMs to proactively request feedback from previous travelers, regardless of how they booked.

This means you can request reviews from travelers who stayed at your property, but booked through a different channel. It sounds a little strange, but TripAdvisor originated as a community for travelers to post and share feedback about their overall travel experiences (hikes, tours, restaurants, etc.), and vacation rentals are now in that mix.

To request a review from any visitor of your property, you'll just need their email address. Once you have it, head to https://rentals.tripadvisor.com/bookings/reviews, and click "Request a Review" for your property. You'll enter in the email address (or addresses if you're requesting several at once) to send an automated email from TripAdvisor on your behalf.

Here's a few screenshots of that flow;

Requesting Reviews by Property

0_1550796420195_Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 4.42.46 PM.png

Adding Emails

0_1550796464938_Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 4.47.26 PM.png

Sample Email Content

0_1550796480578_Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 4.43.04 PM.png

Review Modal for Traveler (from the link within the email)

0_1550796880645_Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 4.53.31 PM.png
    It doesn't look like you can manipulate the text in the sample email, but it does auto-fill the property name, the destination of the property, and your property management name at the signature.

As an aside, TripAdvisor automatically sends these review requests are automatically sent to guests who booked a stay through them, and completed their trip. This would be a good practice to consider for any check-out, regardless of original booking source.

Hope that helps!
    Jess

• Newcomer

@don-aamodt
    Thanks Jess - that's helpful.
    However, since our guests already write reviews for us through either Airbnb or VRBO, I'm reluctant to ask them again to write a second review to post on TripAdvisor. I'm afraid it's likely an inconvenience for them, even if they only copy and pasted the review to TripAdvisor.
    In sum, I'll have to think about asking our past guests to write another review.
    Don

Don (& Cheryl) Aamodt, Owners
    559-972-0050

Looks like your connection to MyVR Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.